Tuesday, March 4, 2008


A while back I was doing a project that was driving me crazy, so I started this guy to blow off some steam. Even he was driving me crazy by the end. The other image still isn't done either. This is entirely Photoshop, from sketch to finish. The idea was a dragon with a flaming beard and mane, which raised issues of how to show structure of the bottom jaw, and also just how to work with the lighting it would cause. In the end I tried to make him look like he had internal heat as well with the designed veins of yellow. I couldn't decide if I wanted him in a dark forest or a dank cave, so I didn't really do too much detail there and just left it to the imagination...but it is dark for the contrast. as to where the blue secondary light is coming from...I don't know, perhaps it should be a night sky with the moon. I have done too many moon scenes lately though. It was a real challenge and took my altogether far longer than I expected for a vent piece. I enjoyed that last few hours pulling it together to the end though. Normally I do a pencil sketch of my dragons first, and paint from that structure...this was a different way for me, and the original drawing is a far cry from this finished painting. Enjoy. I hope the contrast and color are a nice reprieve from the graphite renderings. Thanks as always.

4 comments:

Audrey Fry said...

Wow! This is awesome! I really like the colors and lighting, along with its eye, horn and chest. Its beautifully rendered.
One area that is getting me a little I think is the flames coming out of its mouth. I feel like some of the flames are loosing the fact that the dragon's mouth is open and they dissapear into the chest. Its not terribly clear.
Its a very beautiful piece!

a said...

This might be the most impressive digital painting I've seen so far! The brushes you used give it a pastel-like appearance in some areas. I also like the contrast between the bright colours of the fire and the greyish hues of the dragon.

Brushdragon said...

Thanks catu. I enjoyed doing this piece. Don't forget to visit my website www.brushdragon.com to see my other works. Thanks again! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.